- About Us
- Career Center
- Nano-Social Network
- Nano Consulting
- My Account
Educational Program Shines the Light on Cutting-Edge Laser Research
The world's top laser experts will gather in Kissimmee, Fla., to share innovations in lasers and emerging technologies at the 28th ANNUAL SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCE OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR LASER MEDICINE AND SURGERY (ASLMS). "LASER 2008" will be held on April 2-6, 2008, at the Gaylord PalmsTM Resort and Convention Center. Headlining the scientific program are acknowledged leaders in the field who will unveil the latest research developments and clinical studies in laser medicine, as well as present promising devices poised to enhance disease detection and management.
As the ASLMS conference is traditionally regarded as the premier forum for the introduction of the newest breakthroughs in laser diagnostics and technology, some of the research and techniques are only in the early stages of development. In addition to nearly 2,000 laser specialists in aesthetic surgery, dermatology, ophthalmology, oncology, urology, gynecology and dentistry, about 160 industry exhibitors will be on hand to showcase their latest products.
This year's "hot topics" include the following featured presentations:
* Groundbreaking Laser Research Aims to Get to the Root of Acne - Early research findings on the use of a tunable free electron laser that selectively targets the chemical bond structures of acne sebum will be presented. Until now, the current laser and light sources targeting acne only have had a secondary effect on sebaceous glands. The paper was named the ASLMS "Best Overall Basic Science Award" for the conference.
* Promising Research Uses Laser-Activated Gold Nanoparticles to Detect Breast Cancer Cells - Data from laboratory studies of a novel photoacoustic system that combines laser energy and nanotechnology to detect and quantify circulating breast cancer cells will be presented. Currently based on in vitro testing of human blood, this new technology may one day provide better therapies for patients by fighting cancer at the single cell level, before cancer cells turn into tumors.
* Emerging Laser Device with an Eye for Detecting Alzheimer's Disease Could Lead to Early Diagnosis, Better Treatment Outcomes for Patients - Promising new research will discuss a non-invasive laser eye scanning technology that combines laser-induced scatter and fluorescence measurements to detect the presence of a specific protein known to accumulate in the eyes of Alzheimer's patients. This ocular diagnostic tool is being tested in vitro, with plans for clinical trials to begin in the next 12 months.
* The Skinny on Fat Reduction - Leading researchers in fat removal, body contouring and cellulite reduction will present key learnings on how a better scientific understanding of the physiology of fat can lead to improved clinical treatments in the future. A new science of cryolipolysis for fat layer reduction based on animal experiments will be introduced.
* Innovations in Laser Hair Removal Expand Patient Base, Improve Results and Offer Gentler Treatments - Ongoing advances in laser hair removal technology have expanded the patient base, enhanced patient safety and improved clinical efficacy of this popular procedure. New approaches for reducing pain, safely treating darker skin patients who are taking a popular acne medication, and using a shorter pulsed laser for hair removal will be addressed.
This year's keynote speaker is laser pioneer R. ROX ANDERSON, MD, professor at Harvard Medical School, adjunct professor at MIT, and director of the Wellman Center for Photomedicine at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. Dr. Anderson's lecture entitled "Innovation, Disruption and Suffering from Success" will be delivered on Saturday, April 5th.
Awards and Achievements
The ASLMS 2008 Leon Goldman Memorial Award will be bestowed to ASLMS Past-President JEROME M. GARDEN, MD, of Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago, IL, for his excellence in performing clinical laser research, maintaining a high standard of patient care and educating others in medical laser applications.
JEFFREY S. DOVER, MD, of SkinCare Physicians in Chestnut Hill, MA, is this year's recipient of the Ellet H. Drake Lectureship Award for his contributions to laser procedures and products, the scientific literature and his excellence in teaching.
The 2008 Nursing/Allied Health Excellence Award will be presented to SHARON K. OLSON, RN, CMLSO, of Olympic Dermatology & Laser Clinic of Olympia, WA, in recognition of her exceptional nursing/allied health contributions to ASLMS and the advancement of joint practice in laser medicine and surgery.
RICHARD E. FITZPATRICK, MD, of La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre in La Jolla, CA, will receive the 2008 Caroline and William Mark Memorial Award for outstanding contributions to laser technology.
The Society’s 2008-2009 slate of officers will be inaugurated at the Business Meeting on April 5th with BRIAN S. BIESMAN, MD, from Nashville, TN, installed as the new ASLMS President. The American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery (ASLMS) is the world’s preeminent resource for laser research, safety, education, and clinical knowledge. Founded in 1980, ASLMS promotes excellence in patient care by advancing clinical application of lasers and related technologies. For more information and physician referrals, please log on to the Society’s website: www.aslms.org.
For more information regarding press registration or to schedule interviews with Society experts, please contact Nadine Tosk at 847.920.9858; or Karen Sideris at 219.922.7537; .
For more information, please click here
Copyright © Business Wire 2008If you have a comment, please Contact us.
Issuers of news releases, not 7th Wave, Inc. or Nanotechnology Now, are solely responsible for the accuracy of the content.
|Related News Press|
News and information
Kalam: versatility personified August 1st, 2015
Self-assembling, biomimetic membranes may aid water filtration August 1st, 2015
March 2016; 6th Int'l Conference on Nanostructures in Iran July 29th, 2015
Nanometrics Announces Upcoming Investor Events July 28th, 2015