Our NanoNews Digest Sponsors
Home > News > Old Company Press Releases > Lux Capital News
Lux Capital Releases Key Findings from "The Nanotech Report 2003"
Nanotechnology Quickly Transforming from Science to Industry
New York. June 23rd, 2003
Lux Capital, the leading venture capital firm focused on nanotechnology, today announced the release of key findings from The Nanotech Report 2003, a more than 500-page research report. The findings are part of the report's 38-page introduction that can be accessed for free at: www.luxcapital.com/
Partial list of The Nanotech Report 2003's key findings:
- Activity in nanotechnology is exploding worldwide with more than $3 billion invested in worldwide R&D in 2003, including hundreds of millions of dollars in corporate R&D
- More than $2 billion in U.S. government funding has been appropriated for nanotech since 2000, putting it on track to be the largest U.S. government funded science initiative since the Space Race (eclipsing the Human Genome Project)
- International leadership in nanotechnology is up for grabs, with Japan, EU and US competing neck and neck.
- Japan has increased funding for nanotech from $120 million in 1997 to nearly $750 million in 2002. Proposed European Union funding for nanotechnology is over $1 billion from 2002 to 2006
- Asian companies are funding U.S. research, striking deals for patents from U.S. universities and their workforce will be more highly trained in nanotechnology. By 2010, 90% of all physical scientists will be Asian, 50% of them practicing in Asia
- More than 700 companies are involved in nanotechnology
- 40,000 U.S. scientists are currently capable of working in nanotech. 800,000 U.S. workers (40% of worldwide total) will be needed to support NSF predictions of a $1 trillion nanotech industry by 2015
- In the past 4 years, more than 1,700 jobs have been created from venture capital funding in nanotechnology
- $900 million in venture capital has gone to nanotech companies since 1999, with $386 million invested in 2002
- Venture investments in nanotech increased (by 251% in electronics, 211% in industrial products, and by 313% in life sciences), despite an overall decline in total venture capital from 2001 to 2002
- There have been 2,800 patents in nanotechnology since 1996, with IBM leading all nano patent recipients-a land grab reminiscent of the biotechnology industry in the early 1980s.
- Mentions of "nanotechnology" in the media have increased 2,000% from approximately 200 in 1995 to more than 4,000 in 2002 suggesting levels of attention that equate to 1993, just prior to the Internet boom.
According to Robert Paull, Managing Partner of Lux Capital, "In recent years, nanotechnology has evolved from a science into today's budding industry. No longer just in advanced research labs, nanotech is in your home and on the marketplace. We're confident that nanotechnology represents the greatest investment opportunity of the next decade."
The Nanotech Report 2003 is the premier research and investment guide for nanotechnology. It is a comprehensive "one-stop-shop" resource for this dynamic and complex industry. The report includes key definitions, investment strategies, company and academic profiles, patent trends, competitive data, interviews with industry experts, profiles of the most influential players in nanotechnology, and a technical primer. The report can be purchased by emailing
firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on The Nanotech Report 2003, visit
About Lux Capital
Lux Capital is a venture capital firm focused on making early-stage investments in nanotechnology and related growth sectors emerging from leading academic centers of excellence. Lux Capital's managing partners, investors, advisors and extended network are leveraged to provide unparalleled access, expertise and market intelligence to its portfolio companies. The firm's principals are recognized internationally as thought-leaders in the field of nanotechnology. Forbes and Lux Capital publish their monthly investment insights through the
(Forbes/Wolfe Nanotech Report). Established in 2000, the firm is headquartered in New York.
The Nanotech ReportTM is a trademark of Lux Capital Group, LLC
or visit the Lux Capital web site at
Reprinted with premission.
© Copyright 2003 Lux Capital Group, LLC.
If you have a comment, please