- About Us
- Nano-Social Network
- Nano Consulting
- My Account
Home > Press > New panel session - Fiber Optics & Photonics Technology Insertion Forum - added to 2013 program…IEEE Photonics Society’s 2013 Avionics, Fiber-Optics & Photonics Conference Showcases Recent Deployment of Fiber Optics & Photonics Technology on Commercial & Military Platforms
The IEEE Photonics Society's 2013 Avionics, Fiber-Optics & Photonics Conference (AVFOP 2013) opens this week with more than 130 photonics professionals from industry, academia and government gathered at the Wyndham Bayside Hotel in San Diego. As an application-oriented conference, AVFOP provides a unique international forum for the academic, industry, and government R&D community developing fiber-optic and photonic components and system technologies for avionics. Presentations and discussions are centered around all aspects of severe environment fiber optic component, systems, reliability, maintainability, producibility and supportability technology, and its future direction.
Presentations at this year's annual AVFOP 2013 span a broad range of topics focused on: Fiber optic/photonics technologies across mobile platforms, surface ships, submarines, and ground vehicles… Integrated optics for harsh environments… WDM optical components for Harsh Environments… Optical components for analog/RF signal transmission & distribution in harsh environments… Modeling & simulation of aerospace fiber optic components, links & systems… Avionics/aerospace fiber optic component & system reliability… and other topics presented by experts in avionic, fiber-optics and photonics.
"While from the beginning at AVFOP the topics discussed have been inclusive of all mobile platforms," said AVFOP 2013 General Chair, Richard DeSalvo. "This year, in addition to avionics, we're increasing focus on fiber optic / photonics technologies across mobile platforms, such as on surface ships, submarines, and ground vehicles."
Highlights among the technical papers being presented at AVFOP 2013 include:
- Integrated Photonic Circuits for RF Photonic Signal Processing, Communications, and Imaging on an Avionic Platform - 2D and 3D photonic integrated circuits designed for signal processing, communications, and imaging on avionic platforms with extremely high efficiency, throughput, and agility. OAWG and orbital angular momentum, and new applications will be discussed.
- Advancements and Challenges for Photonic Components and Avionic Interconnects - Will discuss using ultra-low noise laser and receiver fiber-optic links with a Noise Figure of 5dB have been measured and dynamic range dependence on link gain investigated. RF optical links were tested successfully in an ESM system.
- Technologies for RF Photonics in Wideband Multifunction Systems - Key technology challenges for the use of RF photonics in high performance systems will be discussed. For example Modulator sensitivity, high performance photonic oscillators in harsh environments, and integration of components onto common substrate.
- A Path to Realizing High-Performance 100GHz Analog Links - To date, the best noise figure and dynamic range results for analog optical links have been reported below 12GHz. Presenters will identify the link architecture with the best path to high performance at up to 100 GHz, and discuss challenges to achieving this performance.
- Optical Tuning of Nematic Liquid Crystal Claddings for Chip Scale Photonic Circuits - Presentation on chip scale, CMOS compatible, low power, active optical tuning scheme for silicon devices clad in dye-doped nematic liquid crystals. Optical tuning offers the advantage of non-contact, electrode-free and configuration flexibility.
- Photonic Oscillators for Small Platforms - Emerging commercial and military platforms have demanding needs for communications systems in support of ever-increasing data rates. This in turn challenges current state of the art oscillators that provide reference signals to carry data and information as modulated sidebands.
Special Panel Session: Fiber Optics and Photonics Technology Insertion Forum
A new feature of AVFOP 2013, the special panel session will be held Wednesday, October 2 to deal with concrete future opportunities for deployment and transition of fiber optics technologies in avionics and vetronics. A group of panelists representing the industry and government will be assembled to provide useful insight on this topic.
The complete conference advance program is available online at: www.avfop-ieee.org/documents/AVFOP-2013-Final-Program-9-4.pdf.
For registration and other information about AVFOP 2013, visit www.avfop-ieee.org/ or contact:
Conference Planner | IEEE Photonics Society (formerly LEOS)
445 Hoes Lane | Piscataway, NJ 08854
Tel: +1 732 562 3895 |
About IEEE Photonics Society
The IEEE Photonics Society is one of the world’s leading technical communities in the field of optoelectronics and photonic materials, devices, and systems, with members and activities engaged in research, development, design, manufacture, and applications, as well as with the various other activities necessary for the useful expansion of the field. As part of this dynamic worldwide community, more than 100,000 photonics professionals actively organize, contribute to, and participate in Society technical conferences, journals and other activities covering all aspects of the field. The IEEE Photonics Society has 75+ worldwide chapters and is part of IEEE, the world’s largest technical professional association. The IEEE Photonics Society (IPS) is the new name for the former IEEE Lasers and Electro-Optics Society (LEOS). Learn more at www.photonicssociety.org.
IEEE, the world’s largest technical professional association, is dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. Through its highly cited publications, conferences, technology standards, and professional and educational activities, IEEE is the trusted voice on a wide variety of areas ranging from aerospace systems, computers and telecommunications to biomedical engineering, electric power and consumer electronics. Learn more at www.ieee.org.
For more information, please click here
Meagan L. Spangler
Public Relations Specialist
BtB Marketing Communications
Copyright © IEEE Photonics SocietyIf you have a comment, please Contact us.
Issuers of news releases, not 7th Wave, Inc. or Nanotechnology Now, are solely responsible for the accuracy of the content.
|Related News Press|
News and information
Strength of hair inspires new materials for body armor January 18th, 2017
Self-assembling particles brighten future of LED lighting January 18th, 2017
Infrared instrumentation leader secures exclusive use of Vantablack coating December 5th, 2016
New records set up with 'Screws of Light' November 20th, 2016
Nanometrics to Present at the 19th Annual Needham Growth Conference December 22nd, 2016
Recreating conditions inside stars with compact lasers: Scientists offer a new path to creating the extreme conditions found in stars, using ultra-short laser pulses irradiating nanowires January 12th, 2017