Home > Press > Current Issues and Future Opportunities Will Be Discussed at the Council for Entrepreneurial Development’s MedTech 2008 on March 6, 2008
Advanced medical technology is the frontier of healthcare and quality of life issues. Current issues and future opportunities will be discussed by national and local industry leaders at the Council for Entrepreneurial Development's MedTech 2008 on March 6, 2008, at the Fuqua School of Business on the Duke University campus in Durham, N.C. The event, the only one of its kind in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, features panel discussions, expert commentaries and networking opportunities for medical technology companies, investors and service providers. Interview and photo opportunities are available. Please contact Cassandra Cranston at or 919-226-0460 to make arrangements.
Current Issues and Future Opportunities Will Be Discussed at the Council for Entrepreneurial Development’s MedTech 2008 on March 6, 2008
DURHAM, NC | Posted on February 28th, 2008
8 a.m. - 9 a.m. Breakfast & Registration (interviews and photo shoots may be scheduled during this period)
9 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. Opening Remarks and Featured Speaker: Ronald W. Dollens, retired president and CEO, Guidant Corporation, manufacturer of cardiovascular devices. During his tenure, the company became one of the largest medical technology companies in the world, introducing several breakthrough technologies including the internal defibrillator.
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m. Break (interviews and photo shoots may be scheduled during this period)
10:45 a.m. - 12 noon, Alternatives to Growing a Medical Device Company
A panel exploring the alternative paths for financing growth.
* Moderator: Kevin Connors, general partner, Spray Venture Partners, a Newton, Mass., venture capital firm
* David Milne, managing partner, SV Life Sciences, a venture capital adviser and manager, with offices in Boston, San Francisco and London
* Richard West, CEO, Advanced Liquid Logic, Inc., an RTP-based developer of lab-on-a-chip technology
12 noon - 1:30 p.m. Lunch & Featured Speaker: Richard S. Stack, M.D., president, Synecor, LLC, a business generator and financial incubator of new medical device companies, based in RTP, Santa Rosa and Silicon Valley, Calif. (interviews and photo shoots may be scheduled during the lunch portion)
1:30 p.m. - 1:45 p.m. Break (interviews and photo shoots may be scheduled during this period)
1:45 p.m. - 3 p.m. Convergent Technologies Changing the Face of Medicine
A discussion of this mega-trend of integrating drugs, devices, nanotechnology, software and electrical engineering into smart devices.
* Moderator: Fred McCoy, vice chairman, Synecor LLC, an RTP-based business generator and financial incubator of new medical device companies with offices in Santa Rosa and Silicon Valley, Calif.
* Geoffrey Erickson, Ph.D., president and CEO of Humacyte, Inc., an Orlando-based company that grows medical devices from human cells to integrate easily within the body and act as replacement tissues.
* John J. Smith, M.D., J.D., partner, Hogan & Hartson LLP, a Washington, D.C.-based law firm with 22 offices worldwide and a strong regulatory affairs practice.
3 p.m. - 4 p.m. Global Clinical Trials
A panel featuring practical, experience-based stories of successful First-In-Man and global clinical trials.
* Moderator: H. Richard Davis, CTO, Tryton Medical, Inc., the Newton, Mass. maker of stents which has done extensive FIM studies in Germany and the Netherlands.
* James F. Buck, vice president of marketing and business development, InnerPulse, Inc., the RTP-based developer of an implantable cardioverter defibrillator designed to treat sudden cardiac arrest.
* John Funkhouser, president and CEO, nContact Surgical, Inc., the Morrisville-based medical device company that developed a cardiac coagulation device for the treatment of arrhythmias of the heart.
4 p.m. - 5 p.m. Closing Reception (interviews and photo shoots may be scheduled during this period)
Upcoming CED Events
The media is invited to attend the following CED events. Please contact Cassandra Cranston at or 919-226-0460 for press credentials.
April 16-18: Venture Conference: An annual venture conference which showcases the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic regions' best and most diverse investment opportunities and offers expansive entrepreneurial and investor networking. Held at the Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club in Durham, N.C. For more information, visit www.cednc.org/conferences/venture/2008/.
May 19-20: Biotech Conference: An annual industry conference where entrepreneurs, investors, and scientists learn about life science industry trends and discover new business and partnership opportunities. Held at the Benton Convention Center in Winston-Salem, N.C. For more information, visit www.cednc.org/conferences/biotech/2008/.
About Council for Entrepreneurial Development
CED identifies, enables and promotes high growth, high impact entrepreneurial companies and accelerates the entrepreneurial culture of the Research Triangle and North Carolina.
For more information, please click here
The Council for Entrepreneurial Development
Cassandra Cranston, 919-226-0460
Copyright © Business Wire 2008
If you have a comment, please Contact
Issuers of news releases, not 7th Wave, Inc. or Nanotechnology Now, are solely responsible for the accuracy of the content.
News and information
Sopping up proteins with thermosponges: Researchers develop novel nanoparticle platform that proves effective in delivering protein-based drugs October 22nd, 2014
Brookhaven Lab Launches Computational Science Initiative:Leveraging computational science expertise and investments across the Laboratory to tackle "big data" challenges October 22nd, 2014
Bipolar Disorder Discovery at the Nano Level: Tiny structures found in brain synapses help scientists better understand disorder October 22nd, 2014
NIST offers electronics industry 2 ways to snoop on self-organizing molecules October 22nd, 2014
NanoTechnology for Defense (NT4D) October 22nd, 2014
Mechanism behind nature's sparkles revealed October 22nd, 2014
TARA Biosystems and Harris & Harris Group Form Company to Improve Safety and Efficacy of New Therapies October 22nd, 2014
Researchers patent a nanofluid that improves heat conductivity October 22nd, 2014
NanoTechnology for Defense (NT4D) October 22nd, 2014
Ucore's McKenzie to Deliver Presentation to Rare Earths Conference in Singapore as Highlight of Fall 2014 Marketplace Schedule October 19th, 2014
Aspen Aerogels, Inc. Schedules Third Quarter 2014 Earnings Release and Conference Call for November 6, 2014 October 17th, 2014
New VDMA Association "Electronics, Micro and Nano Technologies" founded: Inaugural Meeting in Frankfurt/Main, Germany October 15th, 2014